Friday 5 August 2011

Sonic The Hedgehog 2


 One year after the realise of Sonic The Hedgehog 1 the second one came out and what a sequel it was, I cant say I remember this game when it was first released, being 2 years old probably didn't help :) but when a friend of mine got a Sega mega drive I remember living there for days on end, at that point the console I was on was the Super Nintendo so for me Sonic was a whole new concept far different from the Mario game play I was used to. One great addition to the game was the 2 player concept which meant neither me or my friend was sat waiting for the other to die to get a turn :) I'm not saying the 2 player was perfect but it did give the game some more playability.


 The concept behind the game is pretty much the same from the first, but this time round there's a few more additions, as I mentioned earlier the 2 player ability was added, but other than that there's a few more features to see, one of my favourites is the spin ability. The issue with the first game was at some stages, walking up a small hill for example slowed sonic down way to much, with this new spin ability you can spin you way out of such obstacles with ease and get sonic back up to the speed we all know and love. The 3rd change was to the bonus stages the way you get them has changed and the stages them self's have changed, were as before you needed 100 rings at the end of a stage and then jump through a giant ring, this time you get portals at check points and if you have 50 rings bam your there. The stages them self's are similar to a bobsleigh course and have you racing down them collecting as many rings as possible while avoiding the bombs.


The special stages in this game created a whole new view to sonic games and gave the first 3D sonic effect. The idea of these special stages is the same as the first game and is to gain Chaos Emeralds, the difference though was that once all 7 were found sonic could transform into super sonic, now I'm gonna be honest I absolutely love these stages and the super sonic form, but god these stages are sooo hard I've never been able to get all seven not on the original Sega or even on the PS3 version, which is crazy because on the PS3 version you can save when ever you like, yet no . . . I still cant do it *Sigh* Maybe one day.


If you were to ask me which I prefer sonic 1 or 2, I would have to say, I have no idea both are amazing and to choose one of them doesn't seem right to me, if your gonna buy an original sonic game buy 1 and 2 together you will never regret it. Its perfect game play, graphics, sound and levels make these games great and will always bring me back for a play through or two, its Sonic The Hedgehog 2 . . . WITH TAILS oh yer :)

Total Top Spec Gaming Score 10 / 10

Link to: Sonic The Hedgehog 1 review.
http://topspecgaming.blogspot.com/2011/03/sonic-1.html 

1 comment: